Friday, 2 May 2014

It all began when I saw that my dear hubby T ( dh ) was listless, he had, about a year ago, put his hand up for a retrenchment package. He received a year's salary and company stocks which he cashed in. Then, he joined me in my little recruitment business and now, he was antsy again.

So, I said the crucial words - I am receptive to moving to Australia.

He heard me and began typing on the computer keyboard furiously...now he has a purpose! We have to research and thus, our journey began!

First on the long list -get a migration agent!
What a minefield this was. There were many online and as many practicing in Singapore.
We also knew that we ought to get one who is certified. I was 44 years old then and T was 46, we were on the brink of not being accepted. Australia's rules were ever changing on relocation of other Nationals.

Ok, so I found a few. Sent T to meet with them. One is particular was active in a migration forum, he seemed to know what he was talking about - I googled his company and found that he had an office in Perth and Singapore. T, in the meantime had met with 2 agents including an Australian one. He emailed the Oz one and did not get a satisfactory reply. Finally after a few more interviews, we settled for the Perth agent. He came across most knowledgeable, likable and mature. So, now its up to him to get do up a dossier for us. It was information gathering time. Next, all information on finances was submitted.
Months later, we got a mail from Oz immigration asking about the money trail. T submitted more forms, receipts and documents, about 4cm thick.

Good news! We received our agreement in principle.

I was a bundle of nerves. I love my country, Singapore is and always be my home. I was very proud of her achievements and of the low rate of crime, the ease in which to bring up children, the convenience, infrastructure and of course, the nuances of the culture. Being able to speak 3 languages is useful. People were flocking to Singapore and here I was, leaving.

I thought of how the children, aged 5 & 7 then, would enjoy spacious Australia, the laid back education system and living in a larger country. The children act as my compass but more so for T, he now has a purpose, he now look forward to a new life. He had been in Singapore for 22 years, he was at crossroads, to move on or to stay. He is determined to buy a business. 


No comments:

Post a Comment